Jump to Navigation


Q.  Should I file the appeal through Registered Post only?

Ans:  No.  It is not necessary.  An appeal can be filed through normal post.    


Q.   Can I file my appeal through Normal Post?

Ans:  Yes.  You can certainly file through normal post.


Q.  Can I file my appeal through email / fax?

Ans:  Yes.  You can also file your appeal through email or fax.  But the email or fax copy will be treated only as an advance intimation.  Unless the appeal is received duly signed in ink, action on the appeal will not be initiated in the office of the Vidyut Ombudsman.


Q.  Is there any set format to file an appeal?

Ans:  No there is no format.  However, it is in your interest to ensure that:

  • Your address is given in full along with PIN Number, Telephone Numbers and email ID, if any.  PIN number (a.k.a Postal Code) will ensure that any communication with you gets delivered promptly.  Telephone numbers and email ID will enable the Vidyut Ombudsman’s office to communicate any postponements of hearings at the eleventh hour and will obviate your need for travel to the place of hearing.
  • The grievance is stated in as clearly as possible a language.  State clearly the relief that is being sought.
  • The appeal related papers are all clearly legible.  Don’t include photocopies or papers that are hard to read.  
  • The appeal is properly signed in ink.  A signature with ball point pen also is acceptable.


Q.  Would I be given an acknowledgement that my appeal is received in the Vidyut Ombudsman’s office?

Ans:  No.  If you want an acknowledgement, do send your appeal through Registered Post Acknowledgement Due method.


Q.  How long would it take to get a notice of hearing?

Ans:  You can expect to receive a notice of hearing within one month from the date of filing of the appeal.  However, when there is heavy pendency of appeals, it might take longer. 


Q.  Is it necessary that an Advocate should be engaged to argue the appeal before the Vidyut Ombudsman?

Ans:  No.  Not at all.  Vidyut Ombudsman encourages you to be present and argue your case in person.  However, when the matter in question is quite complicated, it is in your interest that an advocate or a knowledgeable person is authorized by you to present your case.


Q.   Can I argue my appeal in person?

Ans:  Yes.  Vidyut Ombudsman encourages you to present your own case in person.


Q.  Can I authorize a person who is not an advocate to argue on my behalf?

Yes.  The person being authorized by you need not be an advocate.  Anybody can be authorized by you to argue your case before the Vidyut Ombudsman.  


Q.  How many hearings would be conducted in an appeal?

Ans:  There is no fixed number.  But it has been observed that complicated issues do take more number of hearings.  Hearings in a case are rarely likely to go beyond 5 or 6 hearings.


Q.  Once the Vidyut Ombudsman passes a final order, can I seek clarifications on the order passed?

Ans:  No.  Once an order is passed by the Vidyut Ombudsman, no further correspondence from the appellant seeking clarifications on the order would be given.  The order will speak for itself.  The only correspondence that will be engaged in, after an order is passed, is with the respondent officers to ensure compliance with the orders.


Q.  If I am aggrieved with the order passed by the Vidyut Ombudsman, what remedy is available to me?

Ans:  The appellants can approach the Hon’ble High Court, if they are aggrieved with the orders of the Vidyut Ombudsman.


Q.  If the DISCOM is aggrieved with the order passed by the Vidyut Ombudsman, what remedy is available to it?

Ans:  The orders passed by the Vidyut Ombudsman are final.  The DISCOMs have to implement the orders of the Vidyut Ombudsman.  Whether or not the DISCOMs would like to invoke the writ jurisdiction of the Hon’ble High Court is their call.


Q.  Is any fee payable for filing the appeal before the Vidyut Ombudsman?

Ans:  No.  There is no prescribed fee for filing an appeal.


Q.  If I have not received an order passed by the Vidyut Ombudsman, how can I obtain a certified copy of the order?

Ans:  The Vidyut Ombudsman will post every single order passed in an appeal to the appellant and the respondents.  If, due to postal delays or some other reasons, the orders are not received, the appellants/respondents can approach the Vidyut Ombudsman and obtain a certified copy free of cost.  However, if more than one copy is being sought, they will have to pay the necessary copying charges.  Alternatively, as every order passed by the Vidyut Ombudsman is uploaded on to the APERC / Vidyut Ombudsman website, in digitally signed format, the same can be downloaded.

Main menu 2

about seo